Find a Contractor

e.g. Sheffield, S1 4QT

e.g. ABC Electrical Ltd

Guidance for Letting Agents

As a letting agent you may find yourself in a position where
you need to recommend electricians to landlords or tenants.
If any potential defects, repairs or maintenance required on the electrical installation within a domestic property are identified, always recommend using an electrical contractor registered with a government approved Part P scheme (in England and Wales) or Building Standard System (in Scotland), such as an NICEIC Domestic Installer, to carry out the work.

NICEIC registered contractors are:
·       Regularly assessed
·       Safe and compliant with current wiring regulations and other standards
·       Able to self-certify and notify the work to building control (if applicable)
·       Covered by Platinum Promise
·       Formal complaints procedure

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020

The Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) has introduced legislation for landlords in England to make it a mandatory requirement to have electrical safety checks carried out in their properties.

These electrical safety checks are to be carried out at intervals of no more than 5 years by a qualified and competent person.

This new legislation came into force on 1st June 2020 for landlords in England for electrical safety checks to be completed on their properties following the timeline below:

a) all new specified tenancies from 1st July 2020; and

b) all existing specified tenancies from 1st April 2021

We have created a short factsheet which is intended to provide you with the information you need.

View Landlords Factsheet

For more information on PRS in relation to COVID-19 restrictions, click the link below.

Guidance on PRS works during COVID-19